Look: I am eager to learn stuff I don't know--which requires actively courting and posting smart disagreement.

But as you will understand, I don't like to post things that mischaracterize and are aimed to mislead.

-- Brad Delong

Copyright Notice

Everything that appears on this blog is the copyrighted property of somebody. Often, but not always, that somebody is me. For things that are not mine, I either have obtained permission, or claim fair use. Feel free to quote me, but attribute, please. My photos and poetry are dear to my heart, and may not be used without permission. Ditto, my other intellectual property, such as charts and graphs. I'm probably willing to share. Let's talk. Violators will be damned for all eternity to the circle of hell populated by Rosanne Barr, Mrs Miller [look her up], and trombonists who are unable play in tune. You cannot possibly imagine the agony. If you have a question, email me: jazzbumpa@gmail.com. I'll answer when I feel like it. Cheers!

Monday, December 27, 2010

A Comedian Succeeds When Government Fails

I have two three thoughts on THIS.

What an amazing story about Jon Stewart shaming congress into passing health care for the surviving heroes of 9/11.

What a shame that a comedian has to speak out to get the government to do what is so obviously right and proper.

God damn the Republicans to hell forever!

H/T to the LW
.

2 comments:

nanute said...

The state of independent news journalism today, has been co-opted by the "media industrial complex." One need only look at the quote from NBC's Brian Williams in the story you linked: “Jon gets to decide the rules governing his own activism and the causes he supports,” Mr. Williams said, “and how often he does it — and his audience gets to decide if they like the serious Jon as much as they do the satirical Jon.”

Mr. Williams is old enough to know better, and if he is a student of his profession would know that there was a time when leading media journalists did editorialize at the end of an evening news broadcast. Cronkite did it. John Chancellor did it, and a host of others did it in a bygone era when the owners of the networks still had a sense of what journalism is. These new age journalistic hacks are only interested in the big pay day, and have no interest in speaking truth to power.

Jazzbumpa said...

Williams is a text reader, not a reporter.

Still - I want to believe that he said that in a wistful, perhaps even envious way.

But it all boils down to what Delong so often says . . .

Alas,
JzB