Look: I am eager to learn stuff I don't know--which requires actively courting and posting smart disagreement.

But as you will understand, I don't like to post things that mischaracterize and are aimed to mislead.

-- Brad Delong

Copyright Notice

Everything that appears on this blog is the copyrighted property of somebody. Often, but not always, that somebody is me. For things that are not mine, I either have obtained permission, or claim fair use. Feel free to quote me, but attribute, please. My photos and poetry are dear to my heart, and may not be used without permission. Ditto, my other intellectual property, such as charts and graphs. I'm probably willing to share. Let's talk. Violators will be damned for all eternity to the circle of hell populated by Rosanne Barr, Mrs Miller [look her up], and trombonists who are unable play in tune. You cannot possibly imagine the agony. If you have a question, email me: jazzbumpa@gmail.com. I'll answer when I feel like it. Cheers!

Friday, January 28, 2011

What the Hell?!? Friday -- Vocabulary Expropriation Edition

Loyal readers will recognize the expression "Great Stagnation," which I coined all on my own, and have been using for quite some time to describe what economists routinely call the "Great Moderation."  

I don't read Tyler Cowan - though I recognize his name from being mentioned frequently at MB.  Cowan, professor of economics at George Mason University is a Hayek-style libertarian, free-market ideologue.  I have absolutely no reason to believe Cowan reads me, and would be astounded if he has any awareness of me at all.

But Cowan has now released an e-book (or, at 15,000 words, perhaps an e-pamphlet) titled - of all things - THE GREAT STAGNATION - How America Ate All The Low-Hanging Fruit of Modern History, Got Sick, and Will (Eventually) Feel Better.

The subtitle offers a broad hint about how Cowan's view differs from mine - primarily about causes, and secondarily about expectations, I don't see how we can ever get better without another New Deal. 

We have greatly different - probably even starkly incompatible - world views, but the same conclusion about the current state, though for totally different reasons.

What the Hell?!?   I want my pejorative terminology back!
.