Look: I am eager to learn stuff I don't know--which requires actively courting and posting smart disagreement.

But as you will understand, I don't like to post things that mischaracterize and are aimed to mislead.

-- Brad Delong

Copyright Notice

Everything that appears on this blog is the copyrighted property of somebody. Often, but not always, that somebody is me. For things that are not mine, I either have obtained permission, or claim fair use. Feel free to quote me, but attribute, please. My photos and poetry are dear to my heart, and may not be used without permission. Ditto, my other intellectual property, such as charts and graphs. I'm probably willing to share. Let's talk. Violators will be damned for all eternity to the circle of hell populated by Rosanne Barr, Mrs Miller [look her up], and trombonists who are unable play in tune. You cannot possibly imagine the agony. If you have a question, email me: jazzbumpa@gmail.com. I'll answer when I feel like it. Cheers!

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Quote of the day - Wise Choice

More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
–Woody Allen

My general feeling of despair when I look at the condition of the world, coupled with that Woody Allen quote reminds me that human history is a bit like a pendulum swing.  Not a well behaved pendulum that you might see in an old clock, mind you, but an unbalanced pendulum on an eccentric set of badly worn gimbles mounted on the bias in a crumbling tower exposed to high and variable winds.  After the apex has been reached, it's down, down, down – not on a smooth arc, but an ugly, jarring tail-spin - for an agonizingly long time.

There were major turning points, economically, politically and culturally – all reached in the U.S. from the late 60's through the early 80's. The utter stagnation of median income over 40 years is one bit of evidence. Ditto disco, the demise of unions, globalization, Reagan Democrats (ass holes!) and the disappearance of the miniskirt (that latter not in a good way.)

Though we've been in decline for decades, a great deal of it has been behind the scenes, and most of it so gradual, it's as easily overlooked as erosion.   It's a long way down from here, folks. The bad times are just beginning.

Welcome to the new dark ages. Only in such a time could John of Orange - aka "The Boner," Turtle McConnell, Sarah Palin, Christine O'Donnell, Glen Beck and the tea-baggers be looked upon as anything other than as sources of sour humor.  And remember, the last dark age was known as "the thousand years without a bath."  For now, at least, we still have indoor plumbing.  Beyond that -  we are well and truly screwed.
.

2 comments:

Jerry Critter said...

Maybe the coming period with be known as "The thousand years without a brain".

Jazzbumpa said...

On the bright side -- only 970 to go!

Cheers! (sort of)
JzB