Look: I am eager to learn stuff I don't know--which requires actively courting and posting smart disagreement.

But as you will understand, I don't like to post things that mischaracterize and are aimed to mislead.

-- Brad Delong

Copyright Notice

Everything that appears on this blog is the copyrighted property of somebody. Often, but not always, that somebody is me. For things that are not mine, I either have obtained permission, or claim fair use. Feel free to quote me, but attribute, please. My photos and poetry are dear to my heart, and may not be used without permission. Ditto, my other intellectual property, such as charts and graphs. I'm probably willing to share. Let's talk. Violators will be damned for all eternity to the circle of hell populated by Rosanne Barr, Mrs Miller [look her up], and trombonists who are unable play in tune. You cannot possibly imagine the agony. If you have a question, email me: jazzbumpa@gmail.com. I'll answer when I feel like it. Cheers!

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Thursday Market Action

The SP500 jump this morning to 1175.87 is about 24 points up from yesterday's close at 1151.74 - quite a bit bigger than I anticipated.  And, since it overlaps the wave one low around 1170, from just before closing on Tuesday, it cannot be wave 4 of that same cycle, per Elliot's rules.  Therefore, contra my expectation, yesterday's drop down into the close was a complete 5 wave structure.  More after the close.

Update:  If you only looked at daily closings, you'd think today was pretty good, with a .81% gain from yesterday's close.  But a look at what goes on throughout the day* in more and better detail reveals the truth.  This morning's top came before 10:00 a.m. and was the high for the day. The index gave back 35 points before recovering about 20 at the end.  The resistance at 1140, now several weeks old, once again came into play, as the low was 1139.93.

The decline from Tuesday's top continues apace, in a down-sloping channel.  The jump this morning was between a .50 and .618 retracement of the drop to yesterday's bottom.  This should complete waves 1 and 2, with wave three now in progress.

This is all early in wave 5 down, headed towards an intermediate low of 1000 to 1050.
_______________________________
* I see now that this will give you the most recent five trading days graph, whenever you hit the link.
.

No comments: