Look: I am eager to learn stuff I don't know--which requires actively courting and posting smart disagreement.

But as you will understand, I don't like to post things that mischaracterize and are aimed to mislead.

-- Brad Delong

Copyright Notice

Everything that appears on this blog is the copyrighted property of somebody. Often, but not always, that somebody is me. For things that are not mine, I either have obtained permission, or claim fair use. Feel free to quote me, but attribute, please. My photos and poetry are dear to my heart, and may not be used without permission. Ditto, my other intellectual property, such as charts and graphs. I'm probably willing to share. Let's talk. Violators will be damned for all eternity to the circle of hell populated by Rosanne Barr, Mrs Miller [look her up], and trombonists who are unable play in tune. You cannot possibly imagine the agony. If you have a question, email me: jazzbumpa@gmail.com. I'll answer when I feel like it. Cheers!

Friday, December 18, 2009

What the Hell? Friday

Today's entries 

Part 1, a comment lifted from Berube's blog. (No 19, at the link.)

For me, in so many ways, my unhinged far-left views can be summarized by the mottoes from posters i have hanging on the wall next to my desk:

EarthFirst! Obey Little, Resist Much
John Trudell: don’t trust anyone who isn’t angry!
Woody Guthrie: This Machine Kills Fascists
Tom Morello: Arm The Homeless!!

And for the not so unhinged, perhaps a question: Why does the left have to be held to standards of hermeneutical* integrity, while the right can be all over the mind map of lies and hypocrisy?                                                


                                   --- Spyder

Berube went on vacation earlier this year, and when he came back, I forgot to start reading him again -- until this week.   My bad!

Part 2 Jean Sebelius Invents Jazz
The Time: 1900
The place: Rapallo, Italy

Jean Sibelius writes the first walking bass line that I know of.  Sadly, almost inaudible in this clip. So listen carefully  (Other recordings on YouTube, alas, are even more inaudible.)  Then the bassoons take over, with a strange, not quite the blues melody.




OK.  It's not really jazz.  But it is a very cool symphony - and I get to play it tonight!
__________________________________
* Which I also refuse to look up.  (And as the follow up comments at Berube's illustrate, the exact meaning (evidently: “across-the-board-ism”) was not clear in context.  Hope that helps.
.

No comments: