Look: I am eager to learn stuff I don't know--which requires actively courting and posting smart disagreement.

But as you will understand, I don't like to post things that mischaracterize and are aimed to mislead.

-- Brad Delong

Copyright Notice

Everything that appears on this blog is the copyrighted property of somebody. Often, but not always, that somebody is me. For things that are not mine, I either have obtained permission, or claim fair use. Feel free to quote me, but attribute, please. My photos and poetry are dear to my heart, and may not be used without permission. Ditto, my other intellectual property, such as charts and graphs. I'm probably willing to share. Let's talk. Violators will be damned for all eternity to the circle of hell populated by Rosanne Barr, Mrs Miller [look her up], and trombonists who are unable play in tune. You cannot possibly imagine the agony. If you have a question, email me: jazzbumpa@gmail.com. I'll answer when I feel like it. Cheers!

Sunday, December 20, 2009

Sunday Music Blogging - More Christmas Spirit

 Here is a triple play of unusual Christmas treats.

First, the Wexford Carol, a beautiful traditional Irish Christmas song from the 12th century.  You might have heard it before, but it get far  less play than other less-deserving songs.  For a melody of that era, it has some surprising chromatic turns.  This plain, honest treatment adheres to modal simplicity.



The next two are more common songs, and if you think you've heard them too many times already -- you're wrong.  Second is a very fresh treatment of O Tannenbaum, arranged by Gordon Goodwin as Yo! Tannenbaum.  Goodwin is a brilliant and brutal arranger.  I've played this thing, and it takes no prisoners.  See Yo! at the end.



And, last, just for fun, The 12 Days, as you've never heard them.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

NinaVästerplana said...

Thanks for sharing this music withe us.... Unfortunatley the first piece couldn´t be heard in Sweden.... It was blocked!
Loved the last one ;-)
Have a great day and
A Merry Christmas
Nina