Look: I am eager to learn stuff I don't know--which requires actively courting and posting smart disagreement.

But as you will understand, I don't like to post things that mischaracterize and are aimed to mislead.

-- Brad Delong

Copyright Notice

Everything that appears on this blog is the copyrighted property of somebody. Often, but not always, that somebody is me. For things that are not mine, I either have obtained permission, or claim fair use. Feel free to quote me, but attribute, please. My photos and poetry are dear to my heart, and may not be used without permission. Ditto, my other intellectual property, such as charts and graphs. I'm probably willing to share. Let's talk. Violators will be damned for all eternity to the circle of hell populated by Rosanne Barr, Mrs Miller [look her up], and trombonists who are unable play in tune. You cannot possibly imagine the agony. If you have a question, email me: jazzbumpa@gmail.com. I'll answer when I feel like it. Cheers!

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Quote of the Day

James Hamililton, commenting on Columbia Professor Richard Clarida's assesment of the financial meltdown, delivered at the monetary policy conference at the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston last week, says this, blowing a rather large hole in the hull of the efficent market hypothesis..

With the benefit of hindsight ... it seems clear-- at least to this author-- that the financial crisis and the credit and securitization bubble that preceded it resulted not only from spectacular failures in securities markets-- to allocate capital and price default risk-- but serious failures also as well by policymakers to adequately understand, regulate, and supervise these markets. Policymakers, academics, and market participants simply didn't know what they didn't know. They assumed that either it couldn't happen (after all, AAA securities 'never' default), or if it did, it would be systemically unimportant. Until the tide went out. But by then it was too late.

Market failure, inadequate regulation: sounds like something you might have heard from Krugman, or me.

Two graphs that Hamilton presents from Clarida's presentation are quite bubblicious.  Check them out.

.

No comments: