Look: I am eager to learn stuff I don't know--which requires actively courting and posting smart disagreement.

But as you will understand, I don't like to post things that mischaracterize and are aimed to mislead.

-- Brad Delong

Copyright Notice

Everything that appears on this blog is the copyrighted property of somebody. Often, but not always, that somebody is me. For things that are not mine, I either have obtained permission, or claim fair use. Feel free to quote me, but attribute, please. My photos and poetry are dear to my heart, and may not be used without permission. Ditto, my other intellectual property, such as charts and graphs. I'm probably willing to share. Let's talk. Violators will be damned for all eternity to the circle of hell populated by Rosanne Barr, Mrs Miller [look her up], and trombonists who are unable play in tune. You cannot possibly imagine the agony. If you have a question, email me: jazzbumpa@gmail.com. I'll answer when I feel like it. Cheers!

Monday, September 2, 2013

Tiger's Scoring

Today's opponents, the Tigers and Red Sox have the most powerful offenses in MLB, having scored 699 and 698 runs, respectively. 

Coming into today's game, the Tigers have 1390 hits to Boston's 1317.  I had a feeling that Detroit's run production was not very efficient.  So I took a look at runs/hit.  Oakland is best at .535.  Boston 2nd at .530.  The Tigers, at .503, are in 10th place behind Cleveland, Baltimore, St. Louis, Toronto, Cincinnati, Atlanta and Texas.

Too many men LOB.  Three doubles already in today's game [5th inning] and nothing to show for it. 

Back on August 24, they beat up on Mets starter Matt Harvey for 13 hits - and 1 run.  They finished the game with 3 runs on 15 hits.  Last night they were shut out on 11 hits.  Extreme examples, sure, but pay attention to all the runners who do not score.

If the Tigers had the 5th place Cardinals' .518 runs/hit, they'd have scored 20 more runs by now.

They could use a couple of them today.

Data Source

No comments: