Look: I am eager to learn stuff I don't know--which requires actively courting and posting smart disagreement.

But as you will understand, I don't like to post things that mischaracterize and are aimed to mislead.

-- Brad Delong

Copyright Notice

Everything that appears on this blog is the copyrighted property of somebody. Often, but not always, that somebody is me. For things that are not mine, I either have obtained permission, or claim fair use. Feel free to quote me, but attribute, please. My photos and poetry are dear to my heart, and may not be used without permission. Ditto, my other intellectual property, such as charts and graphs. I'm probably willing to share. Let's talk. Violators will be damned for all eternity to the circle of hell populated by Rosanne Barr, Mrs Miller [look her up], and trombonists who are unable play in tune. You cannot possibly imagine the agony. If you have a question, email me: jazzbumpa@gmail.com. I'll answer when I feel like it. Cheers!

Monday, September 21, 2009

Deep Stupid #7


(Updated, 9/22)
Diane Fedele was President of the Chaffey Community Republican Women, Federated.* Their October, 1988 newsletter, in the height of the presidential campaign, included the image of food stamp "Obama Bucks" depicted below the fold. Blind to the stereotypes of fried chicken, ribs, and watermellon, "It was just food to me," stated the culturally tone deaf, irony-challenged Fedele.**







Shortly thereafter Fedele resigned, stating:

The point, that has been lost in the subsequent discussion over images, was that Obama will 'take from the rich and give to the poor' and that we ALL would be buying food with his 'Obama Welfare Dollars.' An ideological statement, not a racial one.

Well, sure. Images mean nothing, after all, and your ideology** is oh, so snow-white.

To put this into 2009 context, consider the article, "No, It’s Not About Race" by the remarkable*** David Brooks (not subjected to the "Deep Stupid" Treatment only because he has already been eviscerated by Ed, more thoroughly and effectively than I ever could.)

Not about race, indeed! Nope!

The racism - it burns.
____________________________________
* Chaffey Community Republican Women, Federated
P.O. Box 974
Upland, CA 91785
Meets the 4th Wednesday of every month at 7pm
Magic Lamp Inn, Rancho Cucamonga
** Ordinarily "Deep Stupid" is about something other than literal stupidity. This time, I'm not so sure.
*** Genuinely remarkable, and not in a good way. See previous footnote.

No comments: