Look: I am eager to learn stuff I don't know--which requires actively courting and posting smart disagreement.

But as you will understand, I don't like to post things that mischaracterize and are aimed to mislead.

-- Brad Delong

Copyright Notice

Everything that appears on this blog is the copyrighted property of somebody. Often, but not always, that somebody is me. For things that are not mine, I either have obtained permission, or claim fair use. Feel free to quote me, but attribute, please. My photos and poetry are dear to my heart, and may not be used without permission. Ditto, my other intellectual property, such as charts and graphs. I'm probably willing to share. Let's talk. Violators will be damned for all eternity to the circle of hell populated by Rosanne Barr, Mrs Miller [look her up], and trombonists who are unable play in tune. You cannot possibly imagine the agony. If you have a question, email me: jazzbumpa@gmail.com. I'll answer when I feel like it. Cheers!

Thursday, January 28, 2021

History

 I wrote this on my Face Book page 6 years ago.

I see two great, overarching themes to all of human history.
1) War
2) The desire of a small privileged elite minority to dominate and exploit the rest of us.
These two phenomena rise from the same root: greed.
War is always and everywhere about one of two things -
1) Somebody trying to take somebody else's stuff - wealth, land, natural resources, strategic locations, a population to be exploited.
2) The oppressed trying to exact revenge or take back what they thought was once theirs.
Nationalism and religion get the masses fired up and willing to go to war, but they are never the root cause.
Wealth and power are fungible. Money gives one the power to dominate. And with both wealth and power there is always the desire for more, and no amount is never enough.
Greed might not be the root of ALL evil, but it is the root of the greatest and most consistent evils in human history.

No comments: