Look: I am eager to learn stuff I don't know--which requires actively courting and posting smart disagreement.

But as you will understand, I don't like to post things that mischaracterize and are aimed to mislead.

-- Brad Delong

Copyright Notice

Everything that appears on this blog is the copyrighted property of somebody. Often, but not always, that somebody is me. For things that are not mine, I either have obtained permission, or claim fair use. Feel free to quote me, but attribute, please. My photos and poetry are dear to my heart, and may not be used without permission. Ditto, my other intellectual property, such as charts and graphs. I'm probably willing to share. Let's talk. Violators will be damned for all eternity to the circle of hell populated by Rosanne Barr, Mrs Miller [look her up], and trombonists who are unable play in tune. You cannot possibly imagine the agony. If you have a question, email me: jazzbumpa@gmail.com. I'll answer when I feel like it. Cheers!

Friday, December 9, 2011

Friday Hopeless Blogging

Can't say off the top of my head if I've ever given Mish a H/T.  He get's one today for this vid.






Here is an older version the ECRI leading indicator graph that flashed by pretty quickly in the Vid.  The last couple of years aren't shown, but if you were sharp-eyed, you saw the downward trend since the anemic post-trough peak.

Mish goes on to riff a bit on ECRI's many imperfections.  So - add salt, chipotle, and other flavorings to taste.

I'm pessimistic for my own reasons, of course, and have been for a long time.  GDP growth has not been in anything like recovery mode at any time in this century.  Unemployment remains high, and what job growth we see is mostly in low-pay sectors.  Housing prices in many places probably need to decline another 20%, at least,  to reach market clearing values. Wealth disparity, wrong-headed unwillingness to tax, and lax regulations have put us into a low-to-no growth box.  Private debt is a choking burden.

The Rethug controlled congress (yes, Virginia, they control the Senate too, with their filibuster-addicted, obstructionist minority) has as it's stated goal making Obama fail.  Taking the country down is of no consequence to these traitorous bastards.




No comments: