Look: I am eager to learn stuff I don't know--which requires actively courting and posting smart disagreement.

But as you will understand, I don't like to post things that mischaracterize and are aimed to mislead.

-- Brad Delong

Copyright Notice

Everything that appears on this blog is the copyrighted property of somebody. Often, but not always, that somebody is me. For things that are not mine, I either have obtained permission, or claim fair use. Feel free to quote me, but attribute, please. My photos and poetry are dear to my heart, and may not be used without permission. Ditto, my other intellectual property, such as charts and graphs. I'm probably willing to share. Let's talk. Violators will be damned for all eternity to the circle of hell populated by Rosanne Barr, Mrs Miller [look her up], and trombonists who are unable play in tune. You cannot possibly imagine the agony. If you have a question, email me: jazzbumpa@gmail.com. I'll answer when I feel like it. Cheers!

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Independence Day Music Blogging

Contrary to what lying partisan hacks like Bill O'Reilly, Ben Stein, and Bruce Tinsley*  will tell you, Liberals** do love America.

Here, Sam the American Eagle leads us in The Stars and Stripes Forever.

__________________
*  The knuckle-dragging moron actually found a way to screw up the 4th of July.  Impressive, in a depressing sort of way.
** Frex: Me

3 comments:

J said...

Heh.

Homie JP Sousa's actually not the worst musician in the world. Compared to say Wagnerian--or Disneyian-- bombast and sentimentality, Sousamusak sounds nearly mozartian: Amadeus's 'Merican Marching band . JPS may have been a yankee patriot, even bit of militarist, but not a nazi (or repub.). Sort of like Founders (at least the more rational sort).

Really, I'd much prefer the old sousa marches, even S. and S. forever, to the hiphop marches done now. Most plebes don't quite understand what the Fourth is all about.

Jazzbumpa said...

I have great affection for Sousa marches, and those of Fillmore and some others. Play them a lot in the summer.

I'm not familiar with hiphop marches. Sounds awful.

Cheers!

J said...

I'm not big on parades but caught a few minutes of some LA-area HS bands marching to like the Theme from Rocky, or MASH, even like Mariah Carey, rock stuff--then long, hip-hop like drum breaks. Sousa would have been an improvement--or maybe an old jazz-swing standard. Cherokee for marching band......