Look: I am eager to learn stuff I don't know--which requires actively courting and posting smart disagreement.

But as you will understand, I don't like to post things that mischaracterize and are aimed to mislead.

-- Brad Delong

Copyright Notice

Everything that appears on this blog is the copyrighted property of somebody. Often, but not always, that somebody is me. For things that are not mine, I either have obtained permission, or claim fair use. Feel free to quote me, but attribute, please. My photos and poetry are dear to my heart, and may not be used without permission. Ditto, my other intellectual property, such as charts and graphs. I'm probably willing to share. Let's talk. Violators will be damned for all eternity to the circle of hell populated by Rosanne Barr, Mrs Miller [look her up], and trombonists who are unable play in tune. You cannot possibly imagine the agony. If you have a question, email me: jazzbumpa@gmail.com. I'll answer when I feel like it. Cheers!

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Nancy Pelosi to Jazzbumpa: Drop Dead

Not really. Though Mitt Romney is another story.

I received this e-mail today from one of my former colleagues who retired along with me and several others last fall. (Note the apostrophe after "morons." Whoever wrote this is as ignorant as he is dishonest.)

______________________________________________________________
LET'S IMPEACH HER NOW BEFORE SHE DOES FURTHER DAMAGE!! WHAT AN IDIOT!!

IF YOU DON'T AGREE JUST DELETE--IF YOU DO--PASS IT ON!! WHERE DO WE GET THESE MORONS'


Windfall Tax on Retirement Income

Adding a tax to your retirement is simply another way of saying to the American people, you're so darn stupid that we're going to keep doing this until we drain every cent from you. That's what the Speaker of the House is saying. Read below...............

Nancy Pelosi wants a Windfall Tax on Retirement Income. In other words tax what you have made by investing toward your retirement. This woman is a nut case! You aren't going to believe this.

Madam speaker Nancy Pelosi wants to put a Windfall Tax on all stock market profits (including Retirement fund, 401K and Mutual Funds! Alas, it is true - all to help the 12 Million Illegal Immigrants and other unemployed Minorities!

This woman is frightening.

She quotes...' We need to work toward the goal of equalizing income, (didn't Marx say something like this?), in our country and at the same time limiting the amount the rich can invest.' (I am not rich, are you?)

When asked how these new tax dollars would be spent, she replied:
'We need to raise the standard of living of our poor, unemployed and minorities. For example, we have an estimated 12 million illegal immigrants in our country who need our help along with millions of unemployed minorities. Stock market windfall profits taxes could go a long way to guarantee these people the standard of living they would like to have as 'Americans'.'

(Read that quote again and again and let it sink in.) 'Lower your retirement, give it to others who have not worked as you have for it'.

Send it on to your friends. I just did!! This lady is out of her mind and she is the speaker of the house!

____________________________________________________________
It contained a lot of colored fonts, bolding, etc. that I am not going to bother to reproduce here.


I sent this response to my former colleague.

_______________________________________________________________
Agreeing or disagreeing has nothing to do with it. And it's a bit late for an April Fool.

What you need to do is send a retraction to everyone you have sent this to, and insist that they do the same. In fact, just forward my note.

Feel free to hate Pelosi. I don't think much of her either, but probably for an entirely different set of reasons.

And I'm all for holding politicians hairy feet to the fire, irrespective of party affiliation..

But, God damn it, let's spend the ten seconds it takes (that's how long it took me) to do the necessary fact-checking to reveal this as total bull shit.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/pelosi/windfall.asp

And do a little critical thinking. Does the claim even make any sense?

Frex: Does this note give any indication of when or where these ridiculous statements were alleged to be made? Or who they were made to?

Of course not, because it's a combination of distortions, misquotes out of context, and shit that someone made up.

Oh - and don't you think the retired generation is big enough to have some political clout, probably shouldn't be screwed over, en mass, and that the Speaker of the House might almost be smart enough to realize that?

Jesus, people - we're educated. Use your brains.
_____________________________________________________________

But, you see, this is what conservatism has been reduced to.

They have nothing to offer. Nothing. That's why we get: Obama is a Muslim, Obama made the stock market fall, he hangs out with terrorists, and Pelosi wants to confiscate my 401K.

I've said before that we need a a thoughtful, responsible conservatism in this country. If it exists at all, it is somewhere in the Democratic Party.

Upate (4/08, 11:30 a.m.): There was some blowback to my note. Here is my response.
_________________________________________________
So Snopes is liberal and therefore a liar. I get it.

How about this from a true-red conservative.

He goes on to rip Pelosi to shreds. Draw your own conclusions about bias.

Here it is from urban legends.

Now I'm up to 30 seconds.

Bullshit is still bullshit.

I'm not in favor of Pelosi. I'm in favor of the truth, and using critical thinking skills.

What I'm against is the approach to partisanship that pretends that anyone on my side is right and virtuous and must be defended/protected, but anyone on the other side is scum and any manner of lie and distortion to make them look evil is OK by me..

All this does is get in the way of rational discourse.
________________________________________

No comments: