Look: I am eager to learn stuff I don't know--which requires actively courting and posting smart disagreement.

But as you will understand, I don't like to post things that mischaracterize and are aimed to mislead.

-- Brad Delong

Copyright Notice

Everything that appears on this blog is the copyrighted property of somebody. Often, but not always, that somebody is me. For things that are not mine, I either have obtained permission, or claim fair use. Feel free to quote me, but attribute, please. My photos and poetry are dear to my heart, and may not be used without permission. Ditto, my other intellectual property, such as charts and graphs. I'm probably willing to share. Let's talk. Violators will be damned for all eternity to the circle of hell populated by Rosanne Barr, Mrs Miller [look her up], and trombonists who are unable play in tune. You cannot possibly imagine the agony. If you have a question, email me: jazzbumpa@gmail.com. I'll answer when I feel like it. Cheers!

Friday, November 12, 2010

Write Your Congressperson - You should

The entire meme about the insolvency of Social Security, as put out by the Cat Food Commission, is bull shit, and anybody who understands the system, its funding, demographics, and  life expectancy knows it.

Here's Krugman.

. . .  since 1977, the life expectancy of male workers retiring at age 65 has risen 6 years in the top half of the income distribution, but only 1.3 years in the bottom half.

And Krugman again.

. . . that men in the bottom half of the earnings distribution saw their life expectancy at age 65 rise only 1.1 years from 1982 to 2006. Over the same period, by the way, the retirement age — under current law — rose 8 months.

 In simple terms, life expectancy is increasing for Lawyers and CEO's, but not for janitors and postal clerks.  The short stint in retirement that the latter might have some day is being eaten up by increases in the retirement age.

So - write your congressperson today.   Here is a model letter from commentor Jack at AB.

Needs some paragraph separation but the content is right on.

Also, sending this one to Alan (aka Homer) Simpson and Erskin Bowles is highly recommended.

Now - off to the Post office with you . . . .
.

1 comment:

Jenn @ Youknow...that Blog? said...

My sweetheart - found that hugely long list of words you were so bummed about, and saved them! They're there in my comments now, and thank you very much for those! Holy smokes..!