Look: I am eager to learn stuff I don't know--which requires actively courting and posting smart disagreement.

But as you will understand, I don't like to post things that mischaracterize and are aimed to mislead.

-- Brad Delong

Copyright Notice

Everything that appears on this blog is the copyrighted property of somebody. Often, but not always, that somebody is me. For things that are not mine, I either have obtained permission, or claim fair use. Feel free to quote me, but attribute, please. My photos and poetry are dear to my heart, and may not be used without permission. Ditto, my other intellectual property, such as charts and graphs. I'm probably willing to share. Let's talk. Violators will be damned for all eternity to the circle of hell populated by Rosanne Barr, Mrs Miller [look her up], and trombonists who are unable play in tune. You cannot possibly imagine the agony. If you have a question, email me: jazzbumpa@gmail.com. I'll answer when I feel like it. Cheers!

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Tuesday Market Action

That was quite a jump in the SP500 today.  From yesterday's low to today's high it covered about 65 points.  But from yesterday's close to today's close, it only covered about 12 1/2 points.  Lots of volatility these days.  The jump up this morning basically doubles the width of the trading channel I mentioned yesterday.  But momentum fell all day, and with a late afternoon slide, most of the day's gains were given back, and the open gap is mostly filled in.

This looks like a retracement of the entire drop from the top at 1220.39 on 9/20 to the bottom at 1114.22 on 9/22, covering 106.17 points.  The chart shows retracement levels of .618 (1180) and .786 (1198).   This morning's jump took the index past the lower of these, but today's top of 1195.86 didn't quite make to the higher value.  And that fall off at the end does not look healthy. 

This was a fairly impressive gain, while it lasted, but it does not have an impulsive look, and it may well have finished at 2:14 this afternoon.  Reaching the .786 level is very ambitious for a retracement.  My best guess is that the decline has resumed, as of this afternoon, and we can expect it to continue in earnest tomorrow.


.

No comments: