Look: I am eager to learn stuff I don't know--which requires actively courting and posting smart disagreement.

But as you will understand, I don't like to post things that mischaracterize and are aimed to mislead.

-- Brad Delong

Copyright Notice

Everything that appears on this blog is the copyrighted property of somebody. Often, but not always, that somebody is me. For things that are not mine, I either have obtained permission, or claim fair use. Feel free to quote me, but attribute, please. My photos and poetry are dear to my heart, and may not be used without permission. Ditto, my other intellectual property, such as charts and graphs. I'm probably willing to share. Let's talk. Violators will be damned for all eternity to the circle of hell populated by Rosanne Barr, Mrs Miller [look her up], and trombonists who are unable play in tune. You cannot possibly imagine the agony. If you have a question, email me: jazzbumpa@gmail.com. I'll answer when I feel like it. Cheers!

Friday, September 30, 2011

Playoffs

Wow! the Rays go into Texas and drop the Rangers 9-0.

Tigers at Yanks start in a few minutes.  My thoughts.

The Tigers for the first time in decades had a strong September. This is because they upgraded the team mid-season, acquiring Doug Fister, Wilson Betamit and Delmon Young.  Fister – who, always puts in 7 innings -- with an ERA UNDER 2 – might actually be better than Verlander.

Yanks have better offensive stats for the full season, but Tigers stats post all-star game are better than Yanks full season stats.  The bottom of the Tigers line up doesn't offer a lot of offensive punch.   But the Yanks top four hitters are way behind the Tigers top 4 in BA, OBP, SLG, and OPS.

Verlander and Fister for openers, Coke and Benoit in relief, and Valverde to close stack up well against anyone.

I think the Tigers take this series, and I hope it's in 4 games.  Granderson might tip the balance in favor of the Yanks, but  – with 31 more HR’s than Jackson, he might be the only advantage they have.

I’m most afraid of any game that Penny starts. His recent outings have been awful.

Game's starting.  Jackson is up.

Update:  In the first inning Friday, the Tigers made 5 mistakes: the passed ball strike out, putting a runner on first, two walks, Cabrera not turning the DP on an easy ground ball, and Inge not throwing the runner out at home.  It might be possible to rationalize the last two if the runner's position blocked a clear line for a throw.  But collectively, this is not the way to win.

Both Verlander and Fister in the continuation Saturday proved to be inept.  If that combination cannot win, then the Tiger's are toast.  Their batters looked dazed and confused. My despair does not come from the Tiger's being 1 game down.  It comes from the manner of the loss.  Their best were not up to the task, anywhere on the field.  Who is going to carry this team?*

___________________________________
* Max Scherzer, Joaquin Benoit, Miguel Cabrera . . .
.