Look: I am eager to learn stuff I don't know--which requires actively courting and posting smart disagreement.

But as you will understand, I don't like to post things that mischaracterize and are aimed to mislead.

-- Brad Delong

Copyright Notice

Everything that appears on this blog is the copyrighted property of somebody. Often, but not always, that somebody is me. For things that are not mine, I either have obtained permission, or claim fair use. Feel free to quote me, but attribute, please. My photos and poetry are dear to my heart, and may not be used without permission. Ditto, my other intellectual property, such as charts and graphs. I'm probably willing to share. Let's talk. Violators will be damned for all eternity to the circle of hell populated by Rosanne Barr, Mrs Miller [look her up], and trombonists who are unable play in tune. You cannot possibly imagine the agony. If you have a question, email me: jazzbumpa@gmail.com. I'll answer when I feel like it. Cheers!

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Wednesday Poetry Blogging

ON I-77

My wife sits tense behind the wheel of our Jeep.
White knuckled hands hold the wheel,
Her wrist is rigid as she grips the gear shift.

She's as fine a driver as you'll find,
But a pedigreed flat-lander,
Pure-bred in Northwest Ohio's planar landscape --
A place without precipice or peak.

Now we view West Virginia
And western Virginia
Riding ridges of high hills,
Mountains majestically true blue
Their beauty soaring over gloriously gorgeous gorges.

But she is
Uncomfortable on overpasses
Cringing at cliff-side curves
Teeth-clenched climbing crests
Timorous in tunnels.

My wife sits tense behind the wheel of our Jeep.
In the valley where the column of her spine
Braces her upright
Between twin ridges of her shoulder blades
Muscles tighten
Tense against this tour's tortured topography:
Just one more thing we share.

No comments: