Look: I am eager to learn stuff I don't know--which requires actively courting and posting smart disagreement.

But as you will understand, I don't like to post things that mischaracterize and are aimed to mislead.

-- Brad Delong

Copyright Notice

Everything that appears on this blog is the copyrighted property of somebody. Often, but not always, that somebody is me. For things that are not mine, I either have obtained permission, or claim fair use. Feel free to quote me, but attribute, please. My photos and poetry are dear to my heart, and may not be used without permission. Ditto, my other intellectual property, such as charts and graphs. I'm probably willing to share. Let's talk. Violators will be damned for all eternity to the circle of hell populated by Rosanne Barr, Mrs Miller [look her up], and trombonists who are unable play in tune. You cannot possibly imagine the agony. If you have a question, email me: jazzbumpa@gmail.com. I'll answer when I feel like it. Cheers!

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Bush Bashing

I don't know anything about Doug Casey; but, based on this link, I take him to be a free-market libertarian (fml), in the mold of Robert Prechter.

Though not of the fml mindset, I have to agree with Casey on a few things.

1) George W. Bush appears to be a serious contender for worst president ever, tempered only by the nagging suspicion that he was fundamentally irrelevant to his own presidency. Oh, Wait - that, in itself, might make him the worst ever . . .

2) This beautiful and elegant assertion: "It’s unclear to me what, if any, philosophical foundation conservatism, by whatever definition, rests on."

3) Conservatives* like GWB "
because Bush liked to talk a lot about freedom and traditional American values, and did so in such an ungrammatical way that it made him seem sincere."

There is much in Casey's note that a thinking non-libertarian can disagree with. But it's kind of a fun read.

Comments?

Evening Update: DeLong grasps Bush reality with both hands, something faux-conservatives still are not, and in fact will never be willing to do. Click through to Ambinder's woefully lame non-apology. Or just click here. Be sure to read the comments. Seeing how his readers brutally dismember him is, literally, priceless.
_____________________________
* Here, Casey and I are referring to the modern brand of faux-conservatives. No real conservative** would have anything but contempt for the vacuous, ignorant liar who was our 43rd president.
** Nor True Scotsman either, for that matter.

No comments: