Look: I am eager to learn stuff I don't know--which requires actively courting and posting smart disagreement.

But as you will understand, I don't like to post things that mischaracterize and are aimed to mislead.

-- Brad Delong

Copyright Notice

Everything that appears on this blog is the copyrighted property of somebody. Often, but not always, that somebody is me. For things that are not mine, I either have obtained permission, or claim fair use. Feel free to quote me, but attribute, please. My photos and poetry are dear to my heart, and may not be used without permission. Ditto, my other intellectual property, such as charts and graphs. I'm probably willing to share. Let's talk. Violators will be damned for all eternity to the circle of hell populated by Rosanne Barr, Mrs Miller [look her up], and trombonists who are unable play in tune. You cannot possibly imagine the agony. If you have a question, email me: jazzbumpa@gmail.com. I'll answer when I feel like it. Cheers!

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Crossword Puzzle Blogging

L. A. Times Crossword Puzzle


Wednesday, November 25, 2009 Gareth Bain

Theme: RAMA LAMA DING DONG

Yikes!  I never imagined seeing that here.  Or anywhere else, for that matter.

17A 360 degree artwork: CYCLORAMA.  Never heard of it

26A Former resident of Lhasa's Potala Palace:  DALAI LAMA  Easy answer. Hard to spell. Had to rely on perps.

41A Wildly exciting in slang: RING-A-DING.  OK, I guess - but not very common.

52 A Long Time Chinese Leader:  MAO ZE DONG.  Another easy answer, but a real spelling challenge.

And 43D  Named for a car model, group who sang the 1961 hit formed by the end of 17-, 26-, 41-, and 52-Across: EDSELS.  I went from Freshman to Sophomore in High School in 1961.  I remember the song, almost, and the car, but not the group.  The YouTube link says 1957-58, not 1961, and that sounds right to me.

Hi, gang - it's Jazzbumpa, your displaced OHIOAN trombonist.  Let's dedicate today's puzzle to Buckeye and Crockett.  Hope I didn't miss anyone.

Rather a fun puzzle.  I had no clue on the theme until I got to 43 D.

Quite a few long fills and nice 5-stacks.  I counted 36 black squares.  Let's work it out.




Across:

1A Workout room: GYM.  Dennis can give us the details.

4A Bit of hardware: SCREW.  I think of it as a machine part, but hardware is OK, too.  Other meanings are possible.

9A Suffix with sea: SCAPE.  I wasn't sure what to expect here.  Had to get perp help.

14A Extinct ostrich like bird: MOA.  The MOA, the merrier.  Too bad they're gone

15A Games authority: HOYLEHe wrote the book on many card games.

16A Give_________: care: A HOOT.  I tried A DAMN first, thinking about Rhett and Scarlet.  Then I got A____T from the perps, and was a bit concerned for a while.

19A Hardly the gregarious type:  LONER.  Thought of this guy.  Wonder if he's in solitary confinement?

20 Buckeye: OHIOAN.  Needs no explanation.   But here, anyway.   I have a semi-closely related horse chestnut tree in my backyard.  I think Buckeyes were declared illegal in Michigan last Saturday.  We had a great time at the game and tailgating, but the outcome was sure hard on the locals.

21A "Skip the sordid details."  SPARE ME.  Or a bowler requesting assistance on a 7-10, perhaps.

23A Like many Airports: Abbr.: INTL.  Internal, like near the center of a continent.  Oh, wait - maybe it's international.

24 A  ________  FIRMA:  TERRA.  Well, what else could it be?

25A Well fluids: INKS.  The stuff in the ink well.  Nice, clever clue, it you're old enough to remember ink wells.  Did anybody under about 50 have trouble with this?

30 A  God of hawks: ARES.  We think of him as the god of war, and therefore hawks =  warmongers.  But Wikipedia points out that ARES is the god of bloodlust and slaughter.  Lovely.

31 A  Gear part: COG.  A single tooth, a cogwheel, or someone like Mongo, only pawn in game of life.

32 A  Frank:  WEENIE.  I stumbled all over this one.  Like Diogenes, I was looking for an honest man.  Or at least some nice buns.

33A Fanzine, e.g. MAG  Abbrv. fr. Mgzn. I gss.

34 Limerick's place: IRELANDThe Emerald Isle. Ye Olde Sod.  Home of Guinness.   Oddly, I have a limerick on my blog today.  First one ever.  Go figure

36A Old Prizm automaker: GEO.  And 1D Canyon or Sierra: GMC.  Correct, and correct.  This time there can be no dispute.

37A Represent as Identical: EQUATE.  Do you equate EQUATE with "make identical?"   How about correspond, match, similar or analogous?  Just askin . . .

39 A _______ And outs. INS.   Are they talking about doorways, or something else?

40 A   East Berlin's Cold War Counterpart: BONN  The two capital cities.

43 A Guesses "true" when the answer is false: ERRS.  Or drops the ball.  It's only human.

44 A Pulizer winner Walker:  ALICE.   Won Pulizer Prize for "The Color Purple."  I forgot.

46A Golfer who won the 1992 U.S. Open:  TOM KITE.  I couldn't tell you who won the 2009 U.S. Open.

49A Prescription measure:  DOSE.  It's just the right amount.

51 A  Nebraska city:  OMAHA  Founded in 1854, the nations 42nd largest city.

55 A Boston Airport: LOGAN.  It's just about surrounded by water.

56 A Throw out: EXPEL.  Like, from school.

57 A  Nitrogen based dye:  AZO.  Al?  Dr. Dad?

58 A  Pork Cuts:  LOINS.  Them's good eatin'!

59 A  Essentials:  NEEDS.  If you need it, it's essential.

60 A  Go one better.  TOP.  Lions over Browns.  Crazy finish.

Down:

2 D  Toy on a string: YOYO.  Or a honker, dinger YOYO jamborie.

3 D  Rapid fire weapon:  MACHINE GUN.  Rat-a-tat-tat.

4 D  "Eats, ______, & Leaves" : Punctuation handbook:  SHOOTS.  Beware of koalas with MACHINE GUNS.

5 D  Reef Stuff: CORAL And starfish fodder.

6 D  "Saving Private ______"  RYAN  War really is hell.

7 D Common street name:  ELM  Formerly, a common tree.  Now ash is in trouble, too.

8 D  Cunning sort: WEASEL.  Seems wrong.  Should be "a sneaky, untrustworthy, or insincere person"

9 D  Not paid hourly: SALARIED.  Either way, it's take home pay.

10 D Bach Work:  CHORALE  Bah! I can't find a YouTube link to one actually being sung.  We'll have to settle for this.

11 D Superior: A ONE. Or Minnesota's Lake.

12 D Keats work: POEM  Better than a Yeats work, C.A.?

13 D Raison d'_________: Reason for being: ETRE.  A bit strained, IMHO.

18 D Golf course: LINKS.  Or breakfast before a round, perhaps.

22 D Shrimp like crustaceans: PRAWNS Anybody know the difference?

24 D "In space no one can hear you scream" for "Alien.":  TAG LINE  A memorable branding slogan used in advertising.

25 D  Mosul resident: IRAQI

26 D  Forest female: DOE.  And the start of a genuinely horrible song.  I won't link to it.

27 D  Source of mohair: ANGORA GOAT  Rather a handsome fellow

28 D  Bearings:  MIENS  I wanted more machine parts, not demeanor.

29 D  Near eternity: AEON  When you need a bunch of vowels, you need a bunch of vowels!

30 D  From the U.S.: AMER.  Abbrv. in Cl.  Abbrv. in Ans.

31 D Cash Alternative: CREDIT  Use it if you have it.

34 D Neopolitans, e.g. ITALIANS  Originating in Naples, or Napoli

35 D  Director Lee: ANG  Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Brokeback Mountain, etc.

38 D Shi'ite leader: AGA KHAN  The hereditary title of the Imam of the Nizārī Muslims,  I had no idea.

40 D  Server's basketful:  BREAD  In a retaurant, or at the sermon on the mount, with fish.

42 D Bygone bringers of cold blocks: ICE MEN  They were cool.

45 D Leaked Slowly:  OOZED.  The word sounds viscous and slimey.

46 D  Turnpike fee: TOLL  To pay for the snack, I suppose.

47 D  Melville Novel: OMOO.  Unknown outside of crosswords.

48 D "The gift of the___": MAGI  Sad, ironic story of loving and giving, by O Henry.

49 D Info: DOPE  I haven't heard it used this way in EAONS.

50 D Auto designer Ferrari:  ENZO.   Must have a picture.

53 D Stump creator: AXE  Sharp clue.

54 D Red State Org.:  GOP.  Grand Old Party.  The erstwhile party of Lincoln. 'Nuff said.

Cheers!

Cross posted at The Corner.

.

No comments: