Look: I am eager to learn stuff I don't know--which requires actively courting and posting smart disagreement.

But as you will understand, I don't like to post things that mischaracterize and are aimed to mislead.

-- Brad Delong

Copyright Notice

Everything that appears on this blog is the copyrighted property of somebody. Often, but not always, that somebody is me. For things that are not mine, I either have obtained permission, or claim fair use. Feel free to quote me, but attribute, please. My photos and poetry are dear to my heart, and may not be used without permission. Ditto, my other intellectual property, such as charts and graphs. I'm probably willing to share. Let's talk. Violators will be damned for all eternity to the circle of hell populated by Rosanne Barr, Mrs Miller [look her up], and trombonists who are unable play in tune. You cannot possibly imagine the agony. If you have a question, email me: jazzbumpa@gmail.com. I'll answer when I feel like it. Cheers!

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Just How Bad was the Bush Administration?

This is the title of a post at A Plain Blog About Politics.

A short quote from the article and my comment follow. The original post is worth a read, as is a click-through to George Packer's article.

Even more than they (Republicans and conservatives) should be angry with Bush, they should be angry with the Republican governors and others who handed him the nomination in 1999-2000.

This is a salient point. Bush had been a failure at everything he had ever done. His lone achievement as Texas Governor was in executions. I saw this in 1999, and I was scarcely paying attention. The worst thing about the Republican party is their cynicism towards politics and America's political institutions and processes. I don't think this was true, even under Reagan, and trace it to Gingrich's contract on America.


W's administration was the intellectual equivalent of Grover Norquist's idea to shrink Govt. until it could be drowned in a bathtub. But in every other respect, he failed at that too.


The key to understanding the Bush II administration is realizing they were lousy at governance because of their basic contempt for government.


They simply had no use for the Constitution, no concern for the country - they were corporate internationalists - and deep contempt for the American people.


The results of the disasters caused by this administration will haunt my great-grandchildren.


JzB

1 comment:

shrink on the couch said...

I agree, the steep spike in cynicism can be traced to Newt. Newt and his push for family values after telling his cancer-sick wife that he wanted a divorce as she lay in a hospital bed. Newt and his push for term limits. Funny how term limits disappeared from the agenda once the Repugs gained power. Newt and his push for a balanced budget. Funny, it was Clinton who managed this.

The Repugs are frauds. Pure and simple.