Look: I am eager to learn stuff I don't know--which requires actively courting and posting smart disagreement.

But as you will understand, I don't like to post things that mischaracterize and are aimed to mislead.

-- Brad Delong

Copyright Notice

Everything that appears on this blog is the copyrighted property of somebody. Often, but not always, that somebody is me. For things that are not mine, I either have obtained permission, or claim fair use. Feel free to quote me, but attribute, please. My photos and poetry are dear to my heart, and may not be used without permission. Ditto, my other intellectual property, such as charts and graphs. I'm probably willing to share. Let's talk. Violators will be damned for all eternity to the circle of hell populated by Rosanne Barr, Mrs Miller [look her up], and trombonists who are unable play in tune. You cannot possibly imagine the agony. If you have a question, email me: jazzbumpa@gmail.com. I'll answer when I feel like it. Cheers!

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Akin For a Fight

There is little for me to add to the flap about what Missouri senate candidate Todd Akin said about rape and pregnancy.  Here's Eric Loomis.  

The deeper issue - and I've heard this mentioned by a few people - is the nature of Akin's mistake.   What he got wrong politically was not in what he said, but in where and when he said it.

The sad truth is that Akin's thinking - not just about rape, but about all of the medieval misogyny that lies at its core - is close to main-stream thinking in a large portion of the Rethug constituency.

It's not just the rich elite economic preferences of the Rethugs that are taking us back to the 12th century.  It's a whole complex of elitist politico-social concepts that go hand-in-hand with the religious dominance so fiercely desired by the American Taliban.

My fear is that Missouri will elect this dinosaur - knowing full well how he thinks and what he represents.   I may well live to see the concept of the Divine Right of Corporations become a social norm.


2 comments:

Cirze said...

Not to mention the divine right of kings.

Which they strictly adhere to.

Love ya!

S

Jazzbumpa said...

Oh, Susan, Kings are so last millennium.

I'm sure it will be all about corporations.

Cheers!
JzB