Look: I am eager to learn stuff I don't know--which requires actively courting and posting smart disagreement.

But as you will understand, I don't like to post things that mischaracterize and are aimed to mislead.

-- Brad Delong

Copyright Notice

Everything that appears on this blog is the copyrighted property of somebody. Often, but not always, that somebody is me. For things that are not mine, I either have obtained permission, or claim fair use. Feel free to quote me, but attribute, please. My photos and poetry are dear to my heart, and may not be used without permission. Ditto, my other intellectual property, such as charts and graphs. I'm probably willing to share. Let's talk. Violators will be damned for all eternity to the circle of hell populated by Rosanne Barr, Mrs Miller [look her up], and trombonists who are unable play in tune. You cannot possibly imagine the agony. If you have a question, email me: jazzbumpa@gmail.com. I'll answer when I feel like it. Cheers!

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Moron The Free Market Fairy

Full disclosure.

Man, we were totally scooped, and never even knew it.

Phooey!

Actually, the (first) linked post is a pretty serious and thorough examination of the FREE MARKET FAIRY concept that I was just having fun with.   Do check it out.

Update:
And here, from two years ago, is a nice paraphrase of an argument I made somewhere recently.  I'll add a link later, if I can remember where.

Bottom line:  I have never, ever, ever had an original thought.  (sigh)

Update 2:
Found it, over at the Baseline Scenario, and at Modeled Behavior, (I repeat myself when I feel upset* . . .) with some help from TEH Google.  (Laprice's is actually better. Oh, well . . .)


In the natural sciences we have the ideal gas law, for example. Simple and elegant
P * V = N * R * T. We also realize that it is an IDEAL, a hypothetical construct, and that no actual gas in the real word follows it.
Of course, things are much simpler when dealing with statistical numbers of thinking, feeling, screaming, sweaty human beings than with essentially indistinguishable helium molecules.
-- JzB

________________________
* Update 3: Correction: "I repeat myself when under stress"  Memory is an imperfect thing.


No comments: