Look: I am eager to learn stuff I don't know--which requires actively courting and posting smart disagreement.

But as you will understand, I don't like to post things that mischaracterize and are aimed to mislead.

-- Brad Delong

Copyright Notice

Everything that appears on this blog is the copyrighted property of somebody. Often, but not always, that somebody is me. For things that are not mine, I either have obtained permission, or claim fair use. Feel free to quote me, but attribute, please. My photos and poetry are dear to my heart, and may not be used without permission. Ditto, my other intellectual property, such as charts and graphs. I'm probably willing to share. Let's talk. Violators will be damned for all eternity to the circle of hell populated by Rosanne Barr, Mrs Miller [look her up], and trombonists who are unable play in tune. You cannot possibly imagine the agony. If you have a question, email me: jazzbumpa@gmail.com. I'll answer when I feel like it. Cheers!

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

A Disturbing Look at GDP Growth



The yearly values for GDP growth since the 50's are contained in a collapsing envelope, indicated by the green trend lines. These lines converge at about 1.8% in 2028. Make of it what you will.

Red and blue line segments represent the terms of Republican and Democratic presidents, respectively. Heavy red and blue lines are average values for a presidential term. The continuous horizontal line is the historical average of 3.77%. The yellow line is a 21 year moving average. Note the disturbing trend. It has been below the long average since 1980, and is on a declining trajectory.

Three interconnected economic phenomena have characterized this period: major reductions in the marginal income tax rate, relaxation of regulations on industries of all kinds, and a massive transfer of wealth from the least to the most wealthy. We reap what we sow.

The data series ends in 2007.

No comments: