Look: I am eager to learn stuff I don't know--which requires actively courting and posting smart disagreement.

But as you will understand, I don't like to post things that mischaracterize and are aimed to mislead.

-- Brad Delong

Copyright Notice

Everything that appears on this blog is the copyrighted property of somebody. Often, but not always, that somebody is me. For things that are not mine, I either have obtained permission, or claim fair use. Feel free to quote me, but attribute, please. My photos and poetry are dear to my heart, and may not be used without permission. Ditto, my other intellectual property, such as charts and graphs. I'm probably willing to share. Let's talk. Violators will be damned for all eternity to the circle of hell populated by Rosanne Barr, Mrs Miller [look her up], and trombonists who are unable play in tune. You cannot possibly imagine the agony. If you have a question, email me: jazzbumpa@gmail.com. I'll answer when I feel like it. Cheers!

Friday, February 18, 2011

A look at Tennessee

The situation in Wisconsin is not a single unconnected event.  It is part of a concerted effort by Repugnicants nationwide to bust unions.

An editorial in the Memphis, Tennessee Commercial Appeal this morning talks about HB 103, which would strip teachers of the right to organize. 

Gov. Bill Haslam seems to have a genuine interest in improving public education in Tennessee. 

At least his ideas, which emerged this week with the release of his legislative package, are related to the task. 

The same can't be said for proposals put forward by the General Assembly's Republican majority, which can fairly be compared to corporal punishment -- except teachers are getting the swats. 

.   .   .


Haslam has a strong hand to play in the legislature with both chambers in the hands of his party. His proposals stand in contrast to ideas that were floated earlier in the week by members of the GOP legislative majority.

Taking away teachers' right to collective bargaining, kicking them off the state employees pension board and the like have the distinct aroma of vengeance against a teachers' union that refused last fall to contribute as much money to Republican campaign coffers as it was giving to Democrats.

Lawmakers in search of credibility would do well to follow the governor's lead.

 I'm trying to find out if anything is happening with this bill.  No luck so far.
.

No comments: