Look: I am eager to learn stuff I don't know--which requires actively courting and posting smart disagreement.

But as you will understand, I don't like to post things that mischaracterize and are aimed to mislead.

-- Brad Delong

Copyright Notice

Everything that appears on this blog is the copyrighted property of somebody. Often, but not always, that somebody is me. For things that are not mine, I either have obtained permission, or claim fair use. Feel free to quote me, but attribute, please. My photos and poetry are dear to my heart, and may not be used without permission. Ditto, my other intellectual property, such as charts and graphs. I'm probably willing to share. Let's talk. Violators will be damned for all eternity to the circle of hell populated by Rosanne Barr, Mrs Miller [look her up], and trombonists who are unable play in tune. You cannot possibly imagine the agony. If you have a question, email me: jazzbumpa@gmail.com. I'll answer when I feel like it. Cheers!

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Republicans, All Wrong, All the Time, Pt 21 - Dude -Where's My Recovery?

David Beckworth very politely deconstructs a vapid, though very civil critique of his NR article by Mark Calabria, of the Cato Institute.  It comes as no surprise to learn that a Cato scholar either has very poor reading comprehension, or is blinded by ideology.  Read it and chuckle.

But that is not my point here.  In the deconstruction post, Beckworth presents three graphs showing Domestic Demand per Capita (now at a mid-2007 level); Core inflation (leaning hard towards 0.00 and beyond); and money velocity (bouncing like a dead cat.)   Follow the link to see the not very pretty pictures.

Then Thoma comes up with this FRED graph.


And, of course, Rethugs refused to extend unemployment benefits for the 5% of the population who fell off that cliff at the right side of the graph.

Recovery - Hell!  It seems to me that there is no bright spot anywhere.
.

6 comments:

nanute said...

Hell it seems there's no bright spot anywhere. There's always this uplifting Christmas song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRFkftfyETw&feature=fvst

Jazzbumpa said...

Oh, yeah - that helped a lot.

Thanx -- I think.

Cheers!
JzB

nanute said...

You're welcome- I think. LOL. I found the lyrics rather amusing. In a twisted mind sort of way.

Jazzbumpa said...

I'm all for twisted minds, and it's always reassuring in a schadenfreude kind of way to discover a family farther out the dysfunctional scale.

But, uplifting, it wasn't.

Hmmmm - upon further review it was up-lifting of certain kinds of spirits.

Cheers!
JzB

nanute said...

I'm glad to see you've come around. And congratulations on your spirited, take no prisoners defense of your position at AB with Co Rev. Nicely done!

Jazzbumpa said...

Ahhh. Thanks. CoRev is actually pretty depressing. He represents the very worst of what is wrong with America today. His ignorance is abysmal. His immunity to facts and data is, quite frankly, incomprehensible.

He knows nothing, and thinks he knows everything. In fact, what he thinks he "knows" things that are totally contrary to reality. Though he is not stupid, he is unreachable by logic - either because he is blinded by ideology, or for some even less comprehensible reason - and therefore, not worth anybody's time and effort.

What a sad and wasteful shame.

Cheers!
JzB